CH: Replacing all, or working with what there is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m a newbie on here so please go gently if I get anything a bit wrong? Thank you!!

Am trying to work out the pros and cons of either starting from scratch and totally replacing all the pipework and radiators in the house I’ve just bought, (total renovation required) or working with the existing, replacing copper only where needed, adding an appropriate new boiler (none at all currently) and extra rads where necessary.

None of it’s well installed, the house has been empty for two years, several pipes have suffered bursts and are now split. Pipework passes at ground floor ceiling height across where the chimney is which I want to reinstate with log burner, so that would all need re-siting in any case.

My instinct tells me that in the long run it will be ‘better’ to take it all out, re-install a full, new CH system exactly where and how I want and then at least I’ll know and trust what I’ve got. Am just considering the cost of doing that – or can I afford, long term, not to?

Oh btw – this is in France – principle’s the same, but I’d really appreciate your comments and views.

Sponsored Links
As you say pipes are regularly bursting, this is a sign that your pipes are corroded. This alone would want me to renew it all, mainly for peace of mind.

Thanks for your response. I think it's all relatively new, just that the winter temperature here regularly drops to minus mid-teens, and nothing much was protected - tiny bit of modern dark grey foam tube lagging in the cellar. The water's been turned off since I completed and while I'm working on the place, and am even dubious about turning it back on again...

I did see elsewhere on the site that copper fetched £4 per kilo... be interested to see what it is here!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back