Changing balast of a T8 florucent tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Last week the kitchen florucent tube T8 -56W started flickering.
(http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9281088.htm)
As we were between some heavy cooking we let it do so for a while, but then the tube made a small 'phuck' sound and gave up. I noticed that the difuser has melted slightly. The tube itself was physically intact except for some dark circles at the same end where the diffuser has melted.

I have tested the supply coming to the connector in the ceiling hose.
I have replaced the tube , but it does not light up.

Is the balast gone? And can i replace it with this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-1-x-58w-5-T8-HIGH-FREQUENCY-ELECTRONIC-BALLAST-/220954493934?pt=UK_BOI_Lights_Lighting_ET&hash=item3371ea03ee.

This reason i want to avoid replacing the fitting is that even through its from argos, its got a very slim look .

Any suggestions will be helpful..

cheers
Taz

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Although it says in Argos advert electronic it does not say HF so the electronic could refer to an electronic starter.

The Ebay advert does say HF and that is very cheap tempted to get one myself.

So the inductive start florescent unit will normally have three components.
The tube
The Choke
The Starter
Sometimes the Choke and starter are combined but normally separate. There are 100's of starters but in the main there are around 4 sizes to fit common lamps both mechanical and electronic they normally just clip in with a 2 pin bayonet connector. The starter often fails with the tube and it is common to have to replace them as a pair.

The HF choke is not really a choke but an inverter and has some very cleaver electronics which will correct the voltage so will work when the inductive type would fail. The same electronics limits the current used far better so also use less power. And the high frequency produces more light without any stroboscopic effect and the tubes last up to 4 times longer. On on my landing tube lasted 20 years.

Up to seeing your advert I had priced just the ballast at around £40 so I had not bothered to change them in my kitchen one can buy a lot of tubes for £40 but it seems the price has dropped.

However although better likely it will not be a straight swap and you will need to read the diagram on the unit and likely change how it is wired. With the one on my landing there was not enough room in the fitting and I have a adaptable box in the loft with the ballast and in my case batteries as the one I have is an emergency light as well.

So it gives dimensions so first check there is enough room for it to fit. Likely when you do that you will find a starter. As to which route you take that's up to you.

It would be interesting to find out what you do and if you do get the HF ballast if you notice any improvement.

I guess the original one has everything in a small sleek package 1cm*2cm*15cm. So you are right need to check the size of the replacement.

Although having a second thought now as ballast will cost around 8 pounds with shipping and the new tube costs around a 10ner then might as well spend another 7 pounds and get a new one and then i dont have to have a damaged/molten diffuser.

Will still repair the old one and see how it goes.

with regards
Tushar

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back