CHANGING IMMERSION HEATER ELEMENT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to replace the element which uses Economy 7 in my hot water cylinder. After draining the cylinder I'm assuming the old element will come out OK with the correct tool which I've got.
To put the new immersion heater with safety thermostat in, should I use 'Boss Supergreen with PTFE' to ensure there will be no leak when I switch the water back on?

Any tips about removing/installing this new element most welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't get the old element out. I've got the right tool but it's been in there about 15 years and it's really stuck. I've tried tightening it, loosening it, being brutal with it, but it's not moving.
Any ideas?

You have not told us how big your tool is!

You could try hitting it with a hammer!

Tony

Sponsored Links
as already stated, try loosening it while still full of water

some times i have hack sawn some of the edge off to allow a screwdriver and hammer action

Some times heat helps...but carefull , cut back the insulation

If you have a pressed steel cheap spanner, or a proper cast iron one, hit it with a hammer. You can't really do that with the tommy bar on the box ones.
If the old one is put in with some sort of compound, you will probably have to heat it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back