Changing one switch to double for extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope you can help.

I previoulsy had an extractor fan in my kitchen that would come on when the light switch was switched on and stay on for a timed delay afterwards. It was old, noisy, covered in thick grease, so I have removed it and would like to fit a new fan. I want to fit a separate switch for the fan so that I can switch it on and off at will, rather than it coming on and staying on whenever I simply want to get a glass of water or something like that! Its very annoying.

Currently, coming out of the ceiling where the old fan was are three wires - yellow, blue and red.

Up on the wall above the switch is a 3 amp switched socket with the following connections:

At the top of the fused socket marked under "feed" is a two black wires into neutral - one wire goes up towards the ceiling - feed? the other goes down the wall towards the light switch.
Two Red wires in the Live - again, one up to ceiling, one goes down to the switch.

Then below these fittings there is a Neutral which currently has the blue wire from the fan and a black wire which I assume is the neutral for the ceiling light?
Then there is the Live connector where two red wires are connected, one goes up to ceiling again I assume for the light and the other down to light switch.

The yellow wire from the fan and a black wire with red sleeving coming from the light switch are connected up in a block and taped up.

In the light switch there is a black wire with red sleeving connected to the No 1 connector, red in common and then two reds and two blacks both joined together in a blocks and taped up.

The new switch is a 2 way switch with two switches, both with common, L1 and L2 connectors.

Can anyone advise on what I have to connect to split the lights and the fan up to this new switch? I take it I will probably have to put a new cable in from the fan connectors to the switch?

If its too hard I will get some one in to do it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could use a 3 pole fan isolator switch, the fan would still come on with the light but could be switched off aswell. Could not be switched on on itsown though

would have to be aditional switch though

I would rather not add a switch to the ceiling or somthing since I want to keep the setup I have already.

I think I have worked it out in my head so can somone please check this and let me know if Im barking up the wrong tree.

Firstly turn off electrics at fuse box!
Then, disconnect the old light switch and change the wires over to the same positions on one of the switches on the new switch.
Then up at the fused socket, remove the red permanent live going to the fan, from the live on the fused socket. Tape it up out the way as it wont be needed since Im not using a timer on the fan.
Next, take the yellow switched live from the connection with the black with red sleeving wire connector which comes from the light switch, and join it to one end of a black with red sleeving wire of the same rating. This will leave the switched live from the light switch in place and connected to the ceiling light on the first switch.
Run this new wire down in the wall to the new switch and connect it to the L1 position of the second switch.
Then get a piece of wire and connect the two COM connectors of the switch together using Red wire of the same rating.
Finally, check all connectors screw plate in and fit fan.
Turn on electrics and hold breath.

Does this sound correct to you?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back