Changing one's appearance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not something that has come up recently, but I have just realised a double-standard.

How many of you have said "I'm going to grow a beard" to your significant other and had the response "No you're not!"? OK, so they don't like the abrasion injuries, you can kinda understand it!

Women will say "I'm going to get another piercing in my ears", or "I'm thinking of having a small tattoo on my hip". I learned many years ago that it is best to just nod and say "that's nice", and not attempt any helpful comments such as "But won't your earrings knock into each other?" or "Why not try a henna tattoo first and see if you like it before you get it made permanent?"

Now, I'm not saying we necessarily obey them when they order us to shave... I know I've grown beards in defiance of the lady's wishes before. But, why is it that an easily-removable, natural growth of hair is so evil, yet a permanently-scarring puncture wound or the permanently dyed scarring of skin is not something you are allowed to suggest against? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
How many of you have said "I'm going to grow a beard" to your significant other and had the response "No you're not!"?
I had experience of this when Nigel and I were together.

About 18 months ago I decided I'd try a "goatee", so I grew one and found that it actually quite suited me, and also had the effect of making me look about 5 years older than my 25 years which was useful in my then job as a hotel manager. But Nigel absolutely hated it and was very outspoken in his vitriol on an almost daily basis.

To cheer him up, when that job came to an end I got rid of it, and then discovered it was a very powerful bargaining tool! Nigel, you see, has some very questionable items in his wardrobe and even less clue about co-ordination. The following conversation became quite common...

Me: "There's no way I'm coming to the pub with you if you're wearing that!"
Him: "I can wear what I like, it's up to me and I like this outfit..."
Me: "Fine, I'll grow my beard back then!"
Him: "I'll get changed........"
:D :D :D

Funnily enough, since him and I split and I've moved to Brighton, I've not been tempted to grow it back. Probably because I now want to look as young as possible!

Sponsored Links
Back