Changing swing direction of upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wanting to changing the swing direction of my upvc window. There is no locking mechanism in the window so it should be possible. The only thing Im concerned about is the hinges. At present the hinges are fixed at the top and bottom of the window but I want to change to hinged at the sides so I presume Ill need side hung friction hinges ?? Also how can I make sure they are fitted in the correct position ??

Sponsored Links
Which way does it currently "swing"? I think you may be getting your top and side hung hinges the wrong way round, what I mean is if the hinges are fixed at the top and bottom as you say then that is already a side hung opener with I presume side hung hinges, either Friction Stay or Easy Clean/Restricted/Fire Hinges.
Where is the (cockspur?)handle? Bottom or side?

Which way does it currently "swing"? I think you may be getting your top and side hung hinges the wrong way round, what I mean is if the hinges are fixed at the top and bottom as you say then that is already a side hung opener with I presume side hung hinges, either Friction Stay or Easy Clean/Restricted/Fire Hinges.
Where is the (cockspur?)handle? Bottom or side?

The current set up is side hung (hinges top & bottom). The handles are on the side but have no locking mechanism.

What you need is Top Hung Hinges that they do in various sizes from 8" upto 24" depending on the load they are to carry, what are the sizes of the opening sash?

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the late reply, been a busy weekend! That's a pretty tall opener to be changing yourself but if you do give it a shot you'll need 24" Top Hung Hinges (you need to know the depth/stack of the hinge to suit your profile, I'd also make sure you have steel reinforcing inside the profile as that is a large sash!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back