check valves in heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a four zone system, but I have made what appears to be a school boy error. Basincally, I have three CH zones, upstairs, downstairs and conservatory, and a DHW zone, all connecting back to a common return. However, when the downstairs CH is selected, the upstairs rads slowly come on as well. I seems that at one of the upstairs radiators, the returning downstairs CH passes through the upstairs radioator via the return, thereby pressusing the supply side of the upstairs rads! Should I have fitted check valves on every radiator (or at sensible places on the return system) to prevent this? Can I get a combined non-return/lockshield for each radiator? Any ideas appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Cant see anything wrong with the pipework. Zone valves on each supply leg, but common return. The only way to stop this would have been to have had seperate returns all the way back to the boiler - neither practical nor economic, surely?

Sponsored Links
Logic would suggest that if the pipework was 100% correct, the system would function 100% correct. I have never seen a system that was piped up correctly where there was a need for check valves. Maybe Bahco is right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back