chimney breast removed, loose bricks, uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I really need some advice.

We have decided to fit a new kitchen in our Victorian house. It appears that the previous owner has removed the chimney breast and then built a STUD wall in the gap

You'll have to bare with me because this is difficult to explain.

Although there was originally a chimney breast there, this isn't really a supporting wall and the chimney breast that goes through to upstairs is self supporting. The wall in the kitchen is an exterior wall but on the other side there is an alley way (shared access) The chimney originally came up from the cellar, into the kitchen and then curves back over the alley way about 3 feet. The chimney breast which is upstairs is supported by the other wall in the alley way and as far as i can tell there is no structural problem due to this.

However, the wall to the left of where the chimney breast was built out of plumb. I imagine this wasn't a real problem before it was removed as it met with the extruding bit of the chimney breast. The middle bit where it was removed and is currently filled with stud walling bows in slightly (this is just the way the stud was built as far as i can tell and the wall to the right is similar to the left but at a different angle. Therefore it is impossible as far as i can see to get a perfectly level wall. This wall is going to be used as the main wall for base and wall cabinates.

To add to this, after the removal of some of the plaster, some of it well over an inch thick, the lime mortar is no longer doing it's job and a lot of the bricks are just hanging there. Whoever built the house used any old piece of brick they could find. I thought it was constructed as a single 9 inch (?) wall which is normal but this appears to be 2 layers of brick (3 on some part) with no tie to each other.

So I suppose my questions in brief are:

1) Should I remove all of the loose bricks
2) Can I build blockwork and tie it into the outer skin
3) will this help the wall be more plumb or reasonably so
4) Does anyone have any other suggestions

Sponsored Links
Check with the building control department of your local authority that the work has been recorded and approved. If they have no record, consult a structural engineer.

Most of us aren't qualified in this sort of thing (or anything come to that :D ) so advice of a technical nature would be 1) not very useful, 2) since no one here has seen it, almost impossible.

speak 4 yourself :LOL: :LOL: I`m a qualified plumber 3 :eek: year apprentice+C=Guilds :eek: And 10+years in building maintenance. But my crystal ball`s broke :LOL: Been @ it since 1970

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back