Chimney in kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are doing some investigations before we plan a new kitchen.

We have an old listed 19th century Yorkshire stone cottage and are looking to expose the fireplaces where these are original or interesting and could work as a feature and see how we can plan our space around these.

we have had someone in today to take some plaster off the wall to try and see whether we could find a fireplace. We started with the plaster at the top to find out if there was a wall put in right across the width of the kitchen or whether they had just bricked up the alcoves. It turns out there were all bricks across and at the top these were loose so we pulled them out and found what’s in the photos.

Looking at the pics, I’m not sure what we’ve discovered. To me is looks too messy to be a chimney breast (and I’d assumed that anything original would be Yorkshire stone anyway as that’s what our main fireplace is inside and out.) and it just looks like a pile of quickly filled bricks with a sloping piece of flagging but what do other people think, please?

Sponsored Links
That looks like the inside of a chimney to me but the fronts been taken away to make more room.

We had a house, built in 1899, and we reopened the chimney in that. We found a human skeleton in there. It had a medal round it’s neck and when we looked closer, it said ‘1898 hide and seek champion'.

That looks like the inside of a chimney to me but the fronts been taken away to make more room.

Thanks Ian.. that would make sense of the final image and how it looks like there’s been some bricks ripped away at ceiling level which overlap the slab. Would there have been neater red bricks on the outside do you think? This would also make sense because the floor above in the bathroom also has a red brick chimney that’s been lightly plastered, it’s all much neater up there though.

Sponsored Links
We had a house, built in 1899, and we reopened the chimney in that. We found a human skeleton in there. It had a medal round it’s neck and when we looked closer, it said ‘1898 hide and seek champion'.

I’d maybe prefer a skeleton and a joke to this pile of bricks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back