Chimney soot door- cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed some bricks from outside of chimney in order to fit a soot door for sweeping access. The chimney has double walls with a cavity and I am not sure what to do about the cavity when fitting the soot door. Is there a frame that can be used or do I need to line the cavity somehow?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've used slate as a liner for air bricks in the past when there wasn't a liner to hand. Put some mortar on the wall and slate where needed.

I dont understand why you are installing an access on the outside of the c/breast when you have, presumably, an inside fireplace?
If the fireplace is blocked up then its easier to open up at the fireplace & sweep it, and then leave it blocked off with a vent - you only have to sweep the abandoned flue once, there's no need to be constantly sweeping a blocked off flue?

FWIW: Its best practice and cheaper if you have any other flues in the house swept at the same time.

Sponsored Links
vinn, I didn't include much detail. I am reinstating an old open fire in a dining room. Chimney sweep could not get past second bend in dog- leg as the soot door he wanted to access, is now covered by a kitchen extension. However, a new soot door can be fitted a couple of feet above the original (outside, over the kitchen ext) , as the chimney breast is accessible from the outside.

An external photo would help?

If this new clean-out door is to be high in the external c/breast then it would make just as much sense to sweep down from the stack terminal, and up from the fireplace?

If the original door is low down how useful could it have been in getting past the "second bend dog leg"?
The old builders surely wouldn't have constructed a c/breast flue that was inaccessible for sweeping - in the days when chimney fires were dreaded & sweeping was a constant precaution?

Maybe your sweep isn't up to snuff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back