Cistern bolt leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cistern is attached directly to the pan using two plastic bolts. The right side is fine, however the bolt on the left has a very slight leak dripping down the bolt.

I have unscrewed this bolt and it comprises the bolt, then a rubber dome shaped washer (its not flat, don't really know how to describe it), then a normal flat plastic washer and then a plastic wing nut.

At first I changed the bottom washer for a rubber one, but still get the leak. i saw in my local B&Q a set of two metal bolts, but this had a middle washer and nut.

Is this what I need between the cistern and pan. Is this why there is the leak, because there is no washer between cistern and pan?

Sponsored Links
OP, not sure what type of close coupled you have, do the bolts come through the cistern and the through the pan or just through the pan?

powell30 - The bolt goes through the cistern and then through the pan.

Picasso - The one i saw in B&Q looked similar to this.

The one currentlty fitted does not have that middle washer and bolt.

Sponsored Links
The domed washer needs resiting or replacing. You could try some plumbers mate in the hole before you reseat the washer. Or drain the cistern and use some silicone to seal the joint, allow to dry and refill

I have to drain the cistern to take the bolt off or the water will come through the hole.

Where do I put the silicone?

Turn off water, flush, and syphon out rest or undo bolt and allow to drain. Silicone in bolt hole before you refit and again around it after, let it dry......just a thought, check for hairline cracks in cistern bottom.......if so i am afraid you need to replace cistern

Thanks for your help. I'll get the silcone tomorroww

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back