Clever boy…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d bought some 3m copper pipe from Screwfix last night, and needed to secure it to my roof rack.

All my ratchet straps and bungee cords are, of course, stored in one big tangled ball in the back of my truck.

Old genius boy here starts pulling on a bungee cord that was sticking out of the rats nest of cords and straps to try and free it. Maybe if I just pull a bit harder…

Ping!

Other end of the bungee cord frees itself and the metal hook smacks me, with some force in the face. I think the metal that’s wrapped around the bungee hit my forehead and the hook got me in the cheek. I yelped like a little dog :eek:

81D4CA57-AB34-44ED-8D95-8978826FAE7D.jpeg

Doesn’t look like much to be honest, but this was after half an hour with an ice pack.

Very lucky I didn’t get my eyeball!!

Sponsored Links
A close call - and if anyone ever finds a way to stow bungee cords without getting a tangle is on to something.
I watched a couple trying to unload a roof rack many moons ago and when one of the bungee's whipped loose and nearly hit the bloke in the face, the enfolding argument provided free entertainment for the rest of the afternoon.:LOL:

Sponsored Links
I usually double mine up so hooks are together and put them in a figure 8. Seems to work ok

I have an empty, plastic cable reel with slots round the sides. Hook one end into a slot, stretch it round the drum centre and then attatch the other end to another slot. Repeat with the rest of the cords and you have a portable storage item, so if you need them away from the car just pick it up and toddle off.

For what its worth mate, I did the self same thing a few years ago, it pinged back and the hook just missed my eye

Also I remember another dangerous situation.
Tv aerial guy came to the house and needed to go in the loft to fit the cables.
We didn't have proper loft ladder just a short ladder propped up, being Mr Helpful I thought I would keep my foot on the ladder for him to be safe.
I didnt bank on him having a Stanley knife in his pocket which dropped out and nearly stabbed me in the face.
They say most accidents happen in the house during DIY....100% correct

I still have nightmares about the guy who was up a tree with a chainsaw, and dropped it, it fell down and cut his wife's head off who was down below.....true story happened in UK about 15 years ago

Week later and the bruises have pretty much gone now…just a bit of yellowing left :)

4F27723C-AF49-4ACA-8A36-BAB55DDE5249.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back