Cold cold new shower

Have you still got the manufactures fitting instructions. Did you see any flow restrictors in the package, they are normally colour coded. They are used in the shower inlets if the balance in pressure is not equal.

Does it mention any flow restrictors to the shower inlets in the instructions. before installing shower?

I still think it is crud in the hot water inlet filter

Sponsored Links
I now remember my drench shower, same as yours, but from B&Q, definitely had colour coded restrictors.

Mine had none for the hot water inlet as gravity fed, but the cold inlet did have a restrictor, being that it was mains fed. You had a choice of two, the instructions which I now can't find anywhere, explained why. (Which is not very helpful.)

The different combination of restrictor, could therefore accommodate various set ups.

Thx Dunny and Tryit.
I have turned on the shower, and the cold taps in the bath (and then the sink ! ), and the amount of water that came out of the shower was only a trickle (and cold !) which suggests to me that the hot feeder is blocked or the mixer is blocked.

I didn't fit the shower but i will certainly look at the restrictor bits you mention too.

Ok how to easily rectify the problem you have,

First way is to fit a pressure reducing valve on your cold feed to the shower. You can get them with or without a gauge. Set pressure to about 1 bar, then run shower. Adjust until you get a happy balance.

Method 2: fit a non return check valve on the hot feed. (ensure you fit it with flow going to shower :D ) If your cold pressure is a lot more than your hot then the cartridge will allow higher pressure to pass through it and down the hot inlet, thus resulting in cold or very tepid temp.

Out of interest, if you set the shower to cold and run the hot tap on the bath, boes it run cool or even cold ? If it does then you need a non return check valve on the hot

Cheapest option is the second.

Sponsored Links
"Out of interest, if you set the shower to cold and run the hot tap on the bath, boes it run cool or even cold ? If it does then you need a non return check valve on the hot "--- do you mean does the shower run cold or the bath tap run cold?

Bristan are now sending me a new thermostatic mixer (free of charge), so fingers crossed for the weekend....

I meant does the bath tap run cold ? If it does then the shower is definately letting the cold down the hot track.

Some thermostatic mixers have built in check valves, BUt quite a few dont.

Good news...

Bristan supplied a new mixer part - very quickly and free of charge - and i've replaced the original one (which had one of the four washer/seals missing - whether that was a factor i don't know) - anyway, the good news is I now have a lovely hot shower.
Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back