Collingwood Green60 transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Troubleshooting my halogen ceiling lights. The bulbs are fine. There is a connector box, between the bulb wires and the transformer box and the wires are all fine there, so that leaves the transformer. Can't see anything obvious from looking at the box itself, but there are no screws to undo to get into it to access the wires to check or to undo to replace the box. Its obviously obvious if you know, but I don't want to try brut force in case there is a clever way? Screwdriver to prize apart? Electrics all off by the way.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Edited to add: Perhaps it is not meant to open, does it maybe come with the wires already in place both ends? Will have a look and see if I can find any connections above...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need a multimeter so you can test for voltage, most sheds have them for around £5.

Most quartz lamp power supplies today are switch mode devices, this means they turn AC to DC then back to high frequency AC transform it down to required voltage then sample the voltage and change the mark/space ratio of the bit producing the AC to correct the output voltage, plus there is often over and under current protection. To repair would be very hard, it is not a case of working bit by bit because it all goes round in a circle so in real terms if it fails replace it. As to volt meter since they close down on under current really not much help.

If you cannot get into the box to undo the wires, then there must be another connecting device a little bit further 'in'.

I wouldn't think it would be very far.

Sponsored Links
I think this is me not understanding how this transformer is put together, the ones I have seen online all seem to have screws! This looks like a sealed unit. I was thinking that it would be a case of disconnecting it and replacing with a new transformer. I had a look above the transformer box but I cannot pull it (I don't want to tug too hard) down far enough to see if there is another connection device. There is a couple of inches of wire going into the box, so maybe I would have to cut it? These ceiling lights are halogen MR16, I thought I would take the opportunity to replace with LED, which is why I was looking to disconnect the transformer as it needs replacing with one that will run LED. But the lights are dimmable, which complicates it even more! Would be happy to lose the dimmable function as we don't use it. So would need to change the light switch as well... Would have been much happier just replacing the bulb!!

Have just ordered some replacement Lamp Holder Connector Socket - might be something as simple as that, then I can leave the rest be for now and put some more thought into replacing the halogens for LEDs at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back