Comapq HP GPU Hot and Crashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have a two year old HP Compaq desktop, has been stable and really good. But had a problem today. Actually notice video running a bit lumpy for a week or so, today whilst the screen saver was on it froze.

After some head scratching noticed if I left it for 20 mins (cooled down) it would run for 10-20 mins and then freeze. So I installed Speedfan 4.4, this showed the GPU was running at 95 deg c just before it froze again.

Sounds bad, but took the side cover off, pointed a desk fan at it and could get the temp to stabalize at about 40 deg c. Only has two fans, cpu and case, both ruinning over 1000 rpm constantly.

Motherboard has onboard graphics Nividia GeForce 9100. presume this is under a large alloy heatsink that gets very warm when I switch the desk fan off.

Guess the onboard graphics have died ? So is it as easy as disabling the onboard graphics card, and installing a seperate one, or is the motherboard u/s ?

Sponsored Links
So will the PC still run ok for a short period of time when you give it some additional cooling?

Why not remove the heatsink, give it a good clean up, apply some thermal paste and properly reseat?

have you got a build up of dust/fluff in the fan?

cleaning up the cpu as suggested is a good idea just make sure you put the thermal paste on right. Only a pea size amount and don't be tempted to spread it as that causes bubbles when you place the cpu on the heatsink. When the plates touch each the paste will get spead evenly without bubbles

could be a faulty fan

Thanks for the quick responses. The vent in the case is a bit blocked with dust, but would not run with the side off , and no fan, so don't think it is this. Temperature just kept rising.

The cpu temp is fine varies between 20-40 deg c dependant on loading, will have a quick look under heatsink on graphics chip, think I have some paste somewhere !

Pretty sure it's shot. case and board are standard size, so if it's shot would a full size graphics card sort me out. This is ataractive anyway as my youngest kids plays sims 2 which is very graphics hungry. thinking about a 512mb card seen them about 30 quid on fleabay

Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
Just taken the heatsink off the GPU (Graphics Processor) and added a bit of heatsink compound, sure was stuck well due to heat. Cleaned out the vents and generally inside. No joy still running the same, going past 75 deg c with cover on and 44 deg c with side cover off and fan cooling it.

Unless anyone has another suggestion going to look for a graphics card ?

I don't know whether installing a graphics card would solve the problem. If you install one and disable onboard graphics, the onboard graphics will still be getting power. Some graphics cards are power hungry beasts. You may well have to change the PSU as well. If you have a PCI Express slot, by all means try a new graphics card, but it may well be time to think about a new computer.

So, bit of an update. The GPU has now died, seems a graphics card won't sort it. Really object to scraping PC, it's only 14 months old, would expect better from a compaq hp.

Now, I'm happy to swap a motherboard, but from what I understand you have to use the OE motherboard if repairing. problem seems to be that the vista HP/Compaq oe serial number is in the bios on the board, and if you just swap it out for another non oe board vista will not recognise it.

So questions are, does the above seem right ? and apart from HP (nasty price) any ideas on alternative sources for a new or second hand board. Board is a pegatron mzn79-la, hp compaq call it a violet gl8e.

Thanks Paul

If you replace the motherboard the HP bios will recognise the motherboard as not original. You can still boot the computer up but will have to get into the operating system then remove an HP file (can't remember which one, certainly don't know with Vista)) . This will allow the computer to start up. Reason being that your original hard drive will think it's being installed in another computer (security concious lot at HP) You may think you have lost a lot of data , but it will still be on your original hard drive. Look in C/documents and settings/HP Owner /????. Once there , you can copy it over to, my documents.
Any software you had installed before the new motherboard would need to be reinstalled though (PITA).

If you replace the motherboard the HP bios will recognise the motherboard as not original.
How exactly is it meant to do that? The BIOS is on the motherboard. The HP one won't be on a replacement..

You can still boot the computer up but will have to get into the operating system then remove an HP file (can't remember which one, certainly don't know with Vista)) . This will allow the computer to start up. Reason being that your original hard drive will think it's being installed in another computer (security concious lot at HP)
It's really not that simple. And it's a licensing issue with Microsoft, nothing to do with HP..

Sorry Monkeh, just re read my own post.
HP do put some sort of security file on their computers which has to be deleted before a new mobo will work. Nothing to do with Microsoft and licencing issues. My comp uses XP pre installed from new. It did detect that the mobo was not the original and it was an issue with the HP software that had to be overcome before it would operate again. The chap that did it said, it was almost like doing a factory reset.

That's certainly a new one on me. Added to the list of reasons never, ever to purchase HP or Compaq...

Had a look on a few forums and apparently HP amongst others, "tattoo the motherboard so it's tied to the pre loaded OS on the HDD, They also incorporate a hidden partition somewhere. Of course HP won't admit to doing this and hide behind their statements saying it's all to do with Microsoft licences.
Apparently even people who have bought new startup disks from HP have trouble getting the computer to start up. Invariably calling their tech helpline at ££££'s per minute for help and advice.

The computer guy I use does have a workaround to this problem, involving deleting some of HP's own files on the HDD.

Yes, you can probably see why I'm miffed about the whole thing on a 14 month old PC !

I understood perhaps naively if I used the original compaq HP board as it had that tatoo, vista should run from the original hard drive without any issue. But had assumed there would be no issue with the hard drive/os just seeing this as a hardware change. Are we saying that the os would be a problem as well ? and I would have to reinstall all the non microsoft software ?

So far I can get the motherboard from a HP dealer for ninety quid. This is expensive for a mb with onboard sound and graphics. If I don't get any compatibility issues and no reloads it seems worth doing. Bear in mind it's a legit pc with legit pre installed software, but previous pc experience has taught me reinstalls from the partition are not always good.

Otherwise if it's going to be that much of a problem, what stops me wiping the os, installing an old copy of xp I have somewhere and just buying a non hp tattooed bog standard board. really didn't want to end up tinkering with it though.

personally, I would be shouting a bit louder, if the PC is only 14 months old, I would say for it to break after this short period of time, it not fit for purpous, Its not like its a moving part (ie fan/drive) that has died.

you can always waffle on with the european warrenty thing

"Article 5

Time limits

1. The seller shall be held liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods. If, under national legislation, the rights laid down in Article 3(2) are subject to a limitation period, that period shall not expire within a period of two years from the time of delivery. "

Sponsored Links
Back