combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change a thirty year old viceroy vulcan boiler and fit a combi. At present their appears to be gravity feed to the storage tank for hot water and a pump driven radiator circuit. What will the pipework configuration be?, is their a separate circuit to the hot water taps or does it tee off the radiator circuit?

Sponsored Links
A combi boiler heats mains water directly to supply hot water to the taps. You will not need a hot water storage tank, nor will you need a cold water tank in the attic. Some of the larger combis have a small hot water storage tank built in. A completely separate circuit heats the radiators.

Normally the combi boiler can only supply one tap or shower at the same time without loss of supply pressure - so if you are taking a shower, and somebody opens a tap or a washing machine draws hot water, you will notice it. For this reason, they are not recommended in larger dwellings, or were there are more than one bathroom likely to be used at the same time.

The advantage in smaller dwellings with only one or two occupants is the saving in space achieved by eliminating the hot water cylinder and roof tanks. You will lose your nice warm airing cupboard.

Combis are more complex than system boilers -they contain more moving parts - e.g.divertor valves, modulating valves etc, possibly two pumps, equals more to go wrong. Weigh up the pros and cons carefully before selecting a new boiler - you might be better to keep you existing cylinder and tanks and fit a new system (non-combi) boiler.

hi please can someone help i have an ariston microgenius combi boiler and the heating will not be go higher than the 40 light the pressure gauge is on 2 when not on and higher when on has anyone got any ideas can i bleed the radiators will this help?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back