compaq pressario 7025

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, my friend has the above it has a pentium 4 1.7 ghz processor, 128 mb of pc800 rdram, 40gb hard drive , nvidia nv11 4x agp 32 mb soundblaster live card . op is windows millenium , but he just has recovery disk no millenium disk . he paid alot for it a few years ago but now its really slow he says . will it run xp ? i know he needs more memory but whats the best compatible make for compaq? samsung ?. pc 800 is not cheap any one now best place to buy it new or secondhand. he only uses pc for surfing net on dialup , and printing and putting digi pics fron camera onto pc. so it doesnt work hard . i have never used a recovery disk, so do they just copy files back that are missing leaving crap?

Sponsored Links
suffolklad said:
will it run xp ?

Probably, but only if you add some more RAM. I would recommend at least 512MB for XP

suffolklad said:
i know he needs more memory but whats the best compatible make for compaq? samsung ?. pc 800 is not cheap any one now best place to buy it new or secondhand.

Google around for prices.

suffolklad said:
he only uses pc for surfing net on dialup , and printing and putting digi pics fron camera onto pc. so it doesnt work hard . i have never used a recovery disk, so do they just copy files back that are missing leaving rubbish?

The restore disk should return the machine to as it was when you first bought it. Sometimes you have a non-destructive option so that existing data is left intact, but generally they will wipe it. They also often rely on a recovery partition on the hard disk which holds the restore image. This often gets "accidently"deleted.

Windows ME is not a good O/S and often causes problems that are only cured by re-installing.

cheers thanks for reply, yes im trying to buy him some memory at moment this pc 800 is not cheap second hand. and new its even steeper . hes bringing pc around tomorrow to have a look at , does ms config work on millenium ?

I agree with whats already been said, rimms/rdram is expensive, it is sometimes better to change board and go with ddr. 128 is way low for xp, regardless of what m$ say in their requirements, 256 is an absolute minimum. If it were mine, I'd grab an oem copy of XP home and check a well known auction site for memory, if the price of memory exceeded the price of a new (decent ish) board with ddr then I'd go down that orute. Of course thats me, I dont know if you are able to swap the board out, if not then keep looking for memory at a 1/2 decent price.

Sponsored Links
bought some memory 2x 256 samsung pc 800 ,and will keep the 128 in machine too. got the memory for 44 pounds second hand hope its ok when it comes. my friend said it had never crashed millenium but was just slow opening pages up when he had antivirus running . i opened case and was surprised at the build quality of the case board and all . case weighed a tonne thick plate sides , one screw and a slider catch . they dont make em like that now. any way post what happens when get memmory. by the way they wanted over 100 pounds for new memory generic too

Back