Complete DIY Rewire - Including CU

Thanks for all the replies folks. Sorry I've not been back sooner - my broadband has been playing up and every time I connect I get thrown off after about 2 minutes which becomes a little frustrating when trying to type a reply.

So far I've managed to install all the back boxes (complete with grommets) and chase all the cable routes. I've only managed to get a couple of half / three quarter days in but I'm back there tomorrow to start running the cables.

I had the Council BCO out on the first day. I called and asked if they could come out and they said it's not necessary but I asked if they could come anyway. Was a bit scared as I didn't know what to expect but he was a nice guy and very helpful. I ran through my plans and he said that all seemed fine in principle.

There is no isolator on the main incoming cables (there's also no seal on the main fuse but there is a seal on the meter). Interestingly, although I pointed out the fact that there was no isolator he didn't seem to have a problem with this. I guess its not his concern as to how I isolate the supply.

I think I'll give the supplier a call anyway though. I'm a little concerned that the main fuse appears to be a double fuse carrier, possibly fusing both the live and neutral supply. Surely only the live should be fused on the basis that if for some reason the neutral fuse blew, it would be possible to assume there is no power supply and to then accidentally earth the live supply through yourself. I can always ask them to come and fit an isolator and look at the main fuse while they're there.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice so far. It's been more than helpful. I'm going to go back through my drawings today and will probably have another question or two a little later.

Sponsored Links
I've tried to get my supplier (EDF) to install an isolator at my chalet but they say they don't do it.

They will come out to isolate the supply and come out again to reconnect after the job's done.

if it's a double fuse carrier, it could be that the supply is run through to next door as well..
it's common practice on some houses..

I've tried to get my supplier (EDF) to install an isolator at my chalet but they say they don't do it.

They will come out to isolate the supply and come out again to reconnect after the job's done.

Bizarre, wonder what they's charge for that?

Given that there's no seal on the main fuse anyway, it will probably just be easier to switch the CU off so no power is being drawn and then pull the fuse carrier swiftly and smoothly to minimise the risk of an arc (it is an arc that's caused when leccy "jumps" isn't it?).

Sponsored Links
N-power came out and gave me a new meter, new 25mm meter tails, and an isolator all free of charge. Try to get put through to a network maintenance or engineering dept of some description, and you may get to speak to somebody who knows what they're talking about.

You might also try to get someone out by saying 'er my meter is making buzzing, crackling sounds. Oh and the wheely thing doesn't seem to be going round' etc etc, then hope the fitter they send out has an isolator in his van and doesn't mind fitting it for you :)

I've almost finished a DIY rewire myself, so good luck to you. Out of interest, are your LABC prepared to inspect/test, or are they one of those who like to ignore approved doc P?

liam

need to get my meter moved over about 4 inches..
the board it's on too..
the problem is that the cables come from behind the board and don't have much slack. ( yes I did try moving it myself but after unscrewing the board I realised that it will only be possible if the meter and main fuse is re-arranged... the meter needs to go the other side of the cutout.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back