Condensation near cold water pipe..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wimpey No Fines house. The main cold water pipe runs up the inside of the house in the front corner. Where the pipe runs through the front bedroom, there appears to be condensation/black mould appearing on the plaster around the area of the pipe floor to ceiling. It also spreads away from the pipe along at floor height. We put some damp proofing paint on it last year but its still coming back. The pipe has a black rubber/foam covering top to bottom.
Where the pipe actually emerges from the ground floor it goes up through a wood panel cupboard affair, they are no condensation probs there, just in the bedroom.
Any ideas for a solution please..

Sponsored Links
The cold pipe will keep the wall cool encouraging condensation and mold, you need to ventilate the room better [unless you wish to relocate cold feed] and assuming you don't dry clothes in the house.

I have a Wimpey No Fines house. The main cold water pipe runs up the inside of the house in the front corner. Where the pipe runs through the front bedroom, there appears to be condensation/black mould appearing on the plaster around the area of the pipe floor to ceiling. It also spreads away from the pipe along at floor height. We put some damp proofing paint on it last year but its still coming back. The pipe has a black rubber/foam covering top to bottom.
Where the pipe actually emerges from the ground floor it goes up through a wood panel cupboard affair, they are no condensation probs there, just in the bedroom.
Any ideas for a solution please..

I don't understand the significance of a Wimpey No fines house? or why the water pipes would be running into a bedroom, unless it's a bungalow? Is it possible to insulate the pipework on the outside of the building to prevent this? Maybe a temperature differential between rooms, or the plaster has become cracked, letting in damp, or maybe a seperate issue, where a gutter is leaking, or a lost roof tile? Due to the recent high winds? Wimpey build suggests a relatively new build, so is this covered by the NHBC? I got a bad case of damp due to leaking guttering, that was leaking onto my external alarm box, and the water was tracing it's way along the cable causing mould. Well not leaky guttering the neighbour decided to cap his end guttering, and had no downpipe, so it overflowed. DOH! Applied anti mould stuff, and wallpaper falls from the walls, as if being steamed, but must wait for it all to dry out, or replaster.

It was built during the late sixties and I have heard of damp/condensation probs with these types of houses due to the non standard construction process. Its a 3 bed semi and I have no idea why the pipe runs up through the utility and front bedroom as it does. I took off the old foam rubber cladding and it was pretty damp, will replacing it with a modern foam pipe covering help?.
Applying a damp/mould preventative paint this morning.
Its my sons room, no clothes dry in there, but where the pipe runs through the downstairs utility its encased within a wood cupboard and no probs with condensation at all.
I posted on here as couldnt work out if this should go in Building, plumbing or General....

Sponsored Links
You can't get condensation in you enclosed cup'd as there is no air movement to provide damp air.You mention no clothes dried in this room, I reffered to the entire house, does this mean you dry clothes elsewhere in the property.?
It's not uncommon for mains supply to run up through a bedroom , my own home has this , my parents property had the same and a property I am renovating has this.
After all the water supply has to reach the loft to feed the tank some how.

Clothes dryer has external pipe and is downstairs.
Will boxing in the pipe in the bedroom, cure the problem?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back