Condensing Boiler---Pressure Relief Valve opens.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Relating to taffe’s posting, we have ‘bottom radiator cold spots’ on a downstairs and an upstairs radiator. Recently our condensing boiler’s pressure gauge has been prone to spasmodic recordings of NIL pressure, I say spasmodic because I can use the filler loop to top up the system and this may last as little as 24hours or as long as 5days before the pressure falls to a NIL reading. There are no above ground leaks, but the outside ‘overflow’ is sometimes wet., suggesting that the boiler’s pressure relief valve is releasing water. Today I set up An Infrared wireless CCD Security Camera, focussed on the pressure dial, and linked it to our desktop computer using appropriate software.
After playing back the recording, it soon became apparent that the Dial Pointer was at times moving past the RED max mark. I am now of the opinion that the drop in the water pressure is due to the pressure release valve discharging itself.
My question is therefore; Can it be that the P.R.Valve itself be faulty or is it something to do with sludge in the system causing the valve to open ?.

Sponsored Links
Your systemn is both sludged up and the expansion vessel is failed or needs recharging.

The system should be power flushed when the boiler was fitted. It sounds as if this was not done!

Tony

Tony,
Thank you for your advice, but I am disappointed about the sludge because at the time of the original installation we were told that the plastic ‘pipe work’ would always ensure that the system would be ‘sludge and fur free.
Approximately fourteen years ago when we moved in to this property a brand new pressurised hot water system was installed, together with a new Geminox (France.) condensing boiler and radiators all piped together with grey coloured plastic piping. At the time we were told that our particular type of system was in its infancy, but would establish itself in future years. The pressurised hot water system has proved to be excellent, especially the shower. The condensing boiler lasted for app twelve years and apart from the expansion vessel losing pressure, the Aluminium heat exchanger ( which was one of the original advertised virtues because of its light weight) developed corrosion leaks and was declared unsafe.
The Corgi installer for the replacement Vaillant Condensing boiler (Oct 2004) said that he would flush the system, and yes he did have some equipment, but I have often wondered if it was really done efficiently. The young boy with him was given the task of flushing, but I am almost sure that the controls of some of the radiators had not moved from their original settings.(there are seven radiators upstairs and eight downstairs.) but to be fair I do not know the correct procedure for flushing a system, though I imagine that if not done correctly, sludge will be simply pushed around the system from one spot to another.

To power flush properly each rad has to be flushed several times in each direction on its own before moving on to the next.

It seems to me that hardly 15% of power flushes are done properly or with suitable chemicals.

Was he a member if the Institute of Powerflushing? Or the Institute of Plumbing or anything else for that matter? Has he been on one of the recognised power flushing courses? I doubt it!

The Geminox boilers are actually very good but plastic tube is generally seen as a cheap job. Only a special type of plastic is suitable for heating systems.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
The Geminox boilers are actually very good but plastic tube is generally seen as a cheap job.
Geminox ® ?

In 1991-2 following an exhibition at the NEC Birmingham, I decided to incorporate a Condensing Boiler by Geminox manufactured in France linked in with a high pressure hot water system supplied by a company called ‘York Park’ which no longer exists.
To be really up to date, it was suggested that I use the new Hep2 o pipe and fittings for the central heating system. A representative from ‘York Park’ visited the property to measure and design the system and subsequently posted me an itemised list of all the major components including a computerised optimiser to read both indoor and outdoor temperatures to which the firing of the boiler would respond automatically.
I ordered and paid for the equipment, which duly arrived.
FOOLISHLY I had not in the least anticipated that engaging the services of an installer to install the system would prove to be so extremely difficult.
It would appear at that time, that the Heating Plumbing Industry was not ready for change from the standard central heating / hot water systems.
I did eventually find someone to install the whole package.
Having said all this, I know of three situations where conventional central heating systems which were installed pre 1991 are to this very date still being serviced and in full working order including the pilot flame, whilst we are on our second boiler and are having problems.
Perhaps there may be a moral to this story!.

Moral of the story is don't buy French, ever had a citroen ? Stick to the Germans :eek: Vaillants have been going since the early mid eighties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back