conker tree in a back garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been offered a 2 foot tall conker tree.

I have a fairly long garden, but as we're on a hill, the neighbours to the rear ( ie next street over ) are a full level below us ( ie our ground floor is roughlu level with their first floor )..

my garden drops about 3 feet over it's length, then the neighbours drops considerably more and a lot steeper..

for this reason I'm guessing it's a bad idea to put a conker tree at the far end of the garden.. I forsee problems in the future ( I could always claim it was the previous owner or squirrels or kids did it I suppose... )

any advice?

Sponsored Links
yeah plant away,lol.i have heard that conker trees are getting rare,as they have been hit by some kind of disease?

2 foot! It'll be many years before it causes any problems. Is there a retaining wall or a bank between levels? If a bank then the root system will help stabilise it. If a wall then it could cause probs unless the wall is hefty, these are long term predictions of course.

Gregers, you not thinking of Dutch Elm disease?

no it's some fungal thing that causes rust coloured "sores" on the trees that "bleed" dark red stuff all down the trunk..

Sponsored Links
I heard they are being attacked by a certain type of moth. My sister had a pretty large conker tree and the leaves turned brown well before autumn. Turns out it was a type of moth that did it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back