Cooker control switch location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought a house and almost had a cooker delivered, the delivery guy who was due to install it said that because the old cooker control switch is above the intended location he couldnt install it. I had an electrician on the competent person scheme in look and he said that a new switch would need to be fitted and it had to be at least 30 cm from the cooker, is this right? He also said it couldnt be close to an external door which leaves the positioning extremely awkward.

Thanks,
Aid.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid they are correct, the reasoning behind this is the control/isolator must be positioned so that you don't have to lean over a burning chip pan to turn it off. Did you electrician suggest where this could go?
Older kitchens often fall foul of the regs as they were generally small. A gas hob (as far as I can remember) must not be placed close to a door or window which means that some kitchens can't be kitchens anymore unless you fit an electric hob.

He said it was difficult and the only real option would be to put it somewhere near the kitchen door and to run the cable to the outlet through a toughened conduit through or under the kitchen units and sink.
When did this regulation come into effect? I ask because I have just moved from a flat built 2 years ago and the control switch is only about 10-15 cm from the built in cooker and hob. It honestly feels like a conspiracy, I seem to have bought a house where i cant have a cooker!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back