cooker tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok I will start by saying im not too clever when it comes to electrical stuff so may need to talk to me in simple terms lol.

this evening while eating dinner some of the electrics went off and the rcd had tripped, I tried to flick it back on but it just kept tripping down. I had a google to see what the cause could be and followed the whole unplug everything and try again after plugging in individual items.

turns out its my cooker that was tripping it, I have an electric cooker with gas hob and the electric cooker bit hasn't been used at all today and the cooker has been off (plugged in but no dials have been turned on, only the ignition to light the hob has been used)

from google searches all the answers seem to be very technical things that I don't quite understand, so just want to ask, will the reasom for the tripping be the socket for the cooker or something to do with the cooker itself?

oh I should add that the wiring in my house was redone about 5 years ago just before I moved in and the cooker is 2/3 years old. I have never had a problem like this before, the only time the fuses have tripped before is when a light bulb has blown.

thank you :)

Sponsored Links
It is normally the element in the oven that is about to go or has gone.
There are tests that can be done to verify this but you will need a multimeter and some knowledge on how to use it.

Might be time to call out an appliance engineer.

Most likely an element on the way out.

Try it with grill only, bottom oven, whole oven or whatever you have.

Most likely an element on the way out.

Try it with grill only, bottom oven, whole oven or whatever you have.

I cant turn the oven on at all, If I put the plug in and turn the socket on it trips out the rcd so cant test the grill etc, the oven was plugged in but not on when this happened so the elements were stone cold and have been for 24 hours, could this still be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Oh. I thought the oven was on.

What about with something else plugged in to that socket?

Try the kettle or iron.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back