correcting a bad plaster job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just just had a large bay window bricked up, bond coat applied and then a skim across the entire wall including the window. I am installing kitchen units across the entire wall.

The job looks fine but on closer inspection is no good.

The part of the new wall where the 1.2m wide window used to be, bends inwards so that in the middle it is about 10mm off the straight line. The rest of the wall is fine.

This bend is too much for worktop/cabinet installation and needs to corrected.

I cant afford to replaster the entire wall again

What is best way to fill in this whole? A coat of bond and then skim? or perhaps a just a skim coat? any other suggestions?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Get the eejit who did it back to correct his errors. It's easy to prove that his handiwork, isn't as handy as it should be.

Failing that, get some one coat and fill out the areas in question.
You shouldn't need to re-skim, and if you're putting units across the wall, there's even less of a need. A good feather out and sand will suffice.

Just apply the one-coat, fairly thick and use a long straight edge level it off by shuffling it up the wall, if you get my drift.

thanks kjacko,

the eejit has done a proverbial runner. Well, he says the job is fine and he is not coming back. So that the end of it really.

I can get hold of a feather edge and slap some One coat on as described.

Never used one coat though. Once the plaster is in place and is starting to set, can it be polished like mutli finish?

Where the One coat meets the old skim coat of the wall, whats the best way to sand the edges?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I find with one coat that to polish it up you need to spray it quite liberally at the right time, or it rips the stuff back off. If you scrape/feather the edges with your trowel, then it will sand fine.

Otherwise, you could use some bonding and skim with multi-finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back