Costs of Papal visit to rise.

J

joinerjohn

Just reading the news today and the cost to the British Govt of the Pope's visit is set to rise from £8 million to £12 million.
I can't understand why the govt should pay anything towards his visit !!

When I go to Majorca, Rhodes, Cyprus, Tenerife etc. The Spanish, Greek and Cypriot Govt's don't chip in with anything towards the costs of my visits.
Perhaps the Vatican should put up the entrance fee to the Sistine Chapel and perhaps exhibit the Shroud of Turin a bit more so they can raise the costs of his visits, so he can pay for his own security???

Please don't tell me that the Catholic Church are broke either.
Perhaps his holiness should consider staying at home .
;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
we could of course divert the funds used to protect another supposedly devout catholic....

pope/nazi/war criminal - doesn't seem to make any difference nowadays does it... :LOL:

I suspect it's because there are a number of protests planned for when he arrives and travels around the country. Any head of state that visits Britain has their security paid for by the UK - can you imagine the carnage if the UK let the visiting country sort out security? (perhaps 'carnage' is not the best word to use for The Vatican security detail, but for others, definitely apt )

I can well imagine the carnage if an Israeli PM visited with their own security - team mossad!

Sponsored Links
I suppose young choirboys will need protecting during his visit, but that's about all. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Leader of the biggest cult worldwide, **** in a hat. Bloody paedo hitler lover!
I have beef with the pope. :mad:

I don't want to pay for this and shall be writing to my MP, he means nothing to me and his religion means nothing to me

The pope is sitting there with the key to the secret Vatican archives that implicate the Catholic Church in war crimes and helping Nazis escape to Argentina.

I don't think that the head of an organisation guilty of war crimes should be allowed here.
Of course, it's suggested that the USA and the UK actually helped the Nazis escape to combat the new threat from Russia:
Youtube:Operation Rat Line

That's probably why you don't hear the UK demanding the archives are opened.

I suspect it's because there are a number of protests planned for when he arrives and travels around the country. Any head of state that visits Britain has their security paid for by the UK - can you imagine the carnage if the UK let the visiting country sort out security? (perhaps 'carnage' is not the best word to use for The Vatican security detail, but for others, definitely apt )

I understand your point here but why can the UK not PROVIDE the security, then send the bill to the visiting country/organisation? We've got to cut spending to reduce our debt and we're wasting over £10m on something of which I can see has little benefit to our nation?

I understand your point here but why can the UK not PROVIDE the security, then send the bill to the visiting country/organisation? We've got to cut spending to reduce our debt and we're wasting over £10m on something of which I can see has little benefit to our nation?

That's a very valid point, and I imagine the answer is something along the lines of "oh, it's very impolite to ask them for money" :)

The difficulty I have with the whole situation is that this money is being spent at all. Surely if he is so popular then there is no need for any security- my local clergymen don't ask us for a whip round for bodyguards.

On the other hand, why does the church have any money at all while there is a single person in need of financial help anywhere on the planet?

This wasn't me. But I'd like to see Mr Ratzinger explain this whitewash over the church ;)

Sponsored Links
Back