Council flags / slabs that won't break

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read a review of someone who bought council flags from a well known "shed" / DIY retailer. The reviewer says the first flag broke and the rest he made hardcore off. That is worrying. I don't want that to happen to me.

So, is there any advice about where or who to buy my (NEW) council flags from? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about brands but there are thick ones and thin ones. The thick ones are stronger if that is an issue but boy are they heavy. Makes laying them a lot harder especially solo.

I dont really get this? If they are broken the reviewer should have sent them back?

Budget flags will always have a few chips off them here and there and your best bet is buying direct from a mftr if you can. This way they wont have been shifted on and off lorrys and set down and picked up multiple times which is where the damage comes. Direct from mftr limits the number of handlings.

The 50mm thick ones need some serious abuse to break.

Sponsored Links
Join your local Freecycle group- every month up here there's someone wanting rid of council slabs. Cost me an hours' work loading 30 in the van, saved me £150 covering up the drain pipe. The proper 50mm ones will (on a bed of sand) take a lot of breaking. 25mm- nah. Ping in a heartbeat.

Thickness is important. But, is it recommended that I buy 50mm flags that are made to a British Standard? I suppose all old council flags taken from pavements are to B.S.

As to the review where someone bought flags and they ended up using as hardcore: The product was
"Grey British Standard D50 Paving Slab." Bought at B&Q. But, how could a BS flag easily break?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back