Covering emulsion/plaster wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having stripped the wallpaper from a plastered wall, there is the remains of a coat of some type of emulsion or sealing paint beneath, and as "her indoors" now wants the room emulsion painted with a SMOOTH finish, it is necessary to either remove the remaining patches of existing paint, to avoid the patch edges showing through the new paint, or using a type of paint that will not only conceal these edges but also give a smooth finish. It is very difficult to remove the existing paint without damaging the plaster finish, and I would like to avoid the cost of having the whole room re-plastered.

Any ideas guys?

Sponsored Links
This scenario usually results in me Lining the wall. If you do decide to emulsion only, make sure the old paste is completely removed. If you havent cleaned old paste off yet you might find some more of the old paint will come away whilst the wall is wet.(hot water with sugar soap) Sometimes we get away with using easyfill to skim over the lines of the bare plaster and paint, to blend. Then sand lightly, touch up, i.e use a thinned emulsion on bare patches and filler, let it dry then coat up overall.

Good luck

Thanks very much CinC, I'll try that. All the paper paste has been steamed/washed off, it is just these edges of paint patches that curl up slightly, and show through the normal emulsion coat. I'll experiment with your suggestion on a small bit first.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back