Covering Very Draughty Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a vent in the outside wall of our living room, which I assume is there because of the gas fire. The draught we get in through this vent is shocking, particularly on a windy day.

So I wondered if I could either get some sort of cover which would still let air through, but deflect the direct force of the draught somehow so that it was not as cold. Or perhaps get one which could slide open and closed.

I mentioned this to someone at work, who said it was illegal to cover such a vent. So I thought any such vents I could buy would be within safety legislations etc, allowing the correct amount of air to still safely pass through. But I have been to DIY stores and can't see any such covers.

Can anyone advise me on the legalities of covering (not totally) a vent, if one that closed would be an option, and were to get them. We very very rarely use the fire, would be be enough to only have the vent open when the fire was in use.

Any advise is appreciated, as I don't fancy spending cold winters in the living room with this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
"Black Hole" ventilation products offer a solution to some of the problems associated with conventional through-the-wall ventilation. First, they avoid cold air and draughts passing into the room from outside. Second, they prevent light passing out of the room (hence "black hole"). Third, they effectively cut out traffic or other extraneous noises. Fourth, and finally, it prevents insects and other small vermin entering the house.
All too often occupiers resort to masking out or blanking off wall ventilators to stop cold air entering during wintertime. The Black Hole Ventilator will stop wind blasting in, as its baffled labyrinth slows down air flow and creates internal vortices thereby reducing draughts to a minimum.
Stadium ventilators are easy to fit, but we would strongly advise that you have a registered CORGI Registered Gas Fitter carry out a spillage test as a matter of good safe practice.

They are made by stadium and are available from any good heating suppliers

I forgot to say that you should get a corgi registered installer to size the vent as the vent has got to be of a permitted size to provide air to the room.

I covered mine with fine mesh then tape over part of that till it was comfortable, gas fire seems normal, but will get it spill tested

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea to tape over a vent with a gas appliance in the room unless you know the specific size of air that is needed in the room for the gas appliance input and output

if you have a radiator put a new vent through the wall behind that
still get same air coming in but rad deflects it and warms it up

sime10 said:
"Black Hole" ventilation products offer a solution to some of the problems associated with conventional through-the-wall ventilation. First, they avoid cold air and draughts passing into the room from outside. Second, they prevent light passing out of the room (hence "black hole"). Third, they effectively cut out traffic or other extraneous noises. Fourth, and finally, it prevents insects and other small vermin entering the house.
All too often occupiers resort to masking out or blanking off wall ventilators to stop cold air entering during wintertime. The Black Hole Ventilator will stop wind blasting in, as its baffled labyrinth slows down air flow and creates internal vortices thereby reducing draughts to a minimum.
Stadium ventilators are easy to fit, but we would strongly advise that you have a registered CORGI Registered Gas Fitter carry out a spillage test as a matter of good safe practice.

They are made by stadium and are available from any good heating suppliers

Sort of the same issue, I have large air bricks around my house, they let in loads of draft into my house and its a big problem plus Im on quite a busy road so they let in alot of noise. Ccan the black hole products be used to replace air bricks as well ? if so who would fit them builder or plumber ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back