Coving onto painted ceiling and wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello forumites. I'm new here and by the title you can probably tell I'm new at DIY too.

I have just decorated my living room and now want to install coving. I used that supercove light stuff with gyproc coving adhesive. It went up really easily but unfortunately fell down not long after. It appears the adhesive has stuck to the coving really well but literally just falls off the wall (wallpaper) and the ceiling (painted). Is there anything I can use to help it hold? I was thinking skrim / plasterboard tape onto the ceiling to give it a better surface to hold on to. I think I have used enough adhesive.

I know I've done this all in the wrong order but need a retro fix which doesn't involve stripping the walls. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Alex

Sponsored Links
just key the wall/ceiling with the edge of something sharp, and support the coving with something (nails, or an expanding shower curtain pole) until the glue sets.

But don't forget to take the nails out afterwards! :D

Otherwise you will never get round to it and they will become a bit of a feature and people will start hanging things on them. (Like the one which has been sticking out of the ceiling beam in our bedroom for the past 28 years).

So bang the nails into the wall under the coving, or through the coving? Someone else has suggested no more nails instead of coving adhesive. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for your help, Alex.

Sponsored Links
So bang the nails into the wall under the coving, or through the coving? Someone else has suggested no more nails instead of coving adhesive. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for your help, Alex.

Not sure whether you'll get this message from an old post - but just wondering if you got this sorted? I've got the same problem - just finished painting (matt emulsion) and now want to cove. Wrong way round I know but we are where we are. I'll use the Supercove lightweight paper covered stuff - just need the right kind of adheasive for it to stick to the paint...

Thanks in advance..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back