Crack In Bedroom Wall Through Into Hallway - Advice Please?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I posted around 6 months ago re a hairline crack I had noticed in my bedroom wall, starting at the top right of my doorframe and extending diagonally to ceiling.

Since then I have had my loft floored and lined, its used now for storage and bolt-hole for son.

I decided to remove the wallpaper on the bedroom side of the crack to fill and re-paper. Unfortunately the plaster below this came away in my hand and it appears now that the crack goes right through the wall. I am now terrified to remove any more plaster! I can get a pen in the gap, so its a reasonable width!

My huge worry is that I have a structural problem which will have been aggravated by the loft-work 6 months ago? Where the crack starts at the door frame, the frame appears to have dropped, as the gap at top of door is uneven. The wall runs directly above a brick wall in the downstairs hallway, where it appears now as that the lounge doorframe is uneven, directly below the bedroom doorway, but at the opposite corner?!

Could someone please advise me as I dont have any relatives/friends knowledgable in these things to help? The folks I have mentioned it to are all saying they think the crack etc has been there far longer than I have been aware of and its prob just a "settlement" issue after all the work I have had done in the loft (plus full house of central heating replaced 2 yrs ago).

I will attach pictures below to try and show the crack before and after the paper was removed.

Thanks in advance.

Angela

View media item 20690 View media item 20689 View media item 20691 View media item 20682 View media item 20683 View media item 20684 View media item 20685 View media item 20686 View media item 20687 View media item 20688

Sponsored Links
What work did you have done in the loft and what load is above this wall in the loft?
How old is the house?
and I guess the door wasn't always like that?

Hi,

The loft was floored, lined and insulated Aug/Sept last yr.

There is nothing in the loftspace above this wall other than flooring. Any weight is around the outer edges of the loft where its been lined (a few bookcases/units) and in the eaves which have also been floored (maybe 6 cardboard boxes at either side of loft, front and rear).

Door hasnt always been like that, but to be honest, have only recently noticed it has drooped so much. (Due to my scrutinizing every crack in the house.)

Thanks,

Angela.

Sponsored Links
Not so much what`s above as whats below - letting the frame settle :idea: .I had one like that in my last house . Not a major problem really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back