cracked ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a quite badly cracked ceiling, could I plaster board over the whole ceiling by screwing through into the joists and then skim it over?
or should I pull down the old and start again. Its a lath and plastered type
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would agree with Clouty,,,, although not all lath and plaster ceilings/walls that are badly cracked are unsafe. Quite often they look a lot worse than what they really are, and with a bit of work can be made to look good. It's when the plaster has lost contact with the wooden lath and begins to sag and has a lot of visible movement, that's when it should go, or at least be patched. You should never overboard, especially a ceiling, that has visible movement/ loose areas of old plaster, remove all the old stuff first, and make sure no small bits of old plaster remain, otherwise you will not get the new sheets to screw up tightly to the joists.If you do overboard without removing,and the old ceiling above, or part of it, decides to collapse, it'll take the new sheets of plasterboard with it...... Two for the price of one. :eek:

Roughcaster.

There is movement were the cracks are the ceiling is papered over as well, which may be holding it up.
Is there still chance of collapse even if the new over boards are screwed into the joists?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't be put off by what I said earlier Bunser. To overboard a lath and plaster ceiling poses no problems at all as long as it's not visibly "falling to bits", that's what I meant. If you put up new plasterboard with "plenty" of screws into the joists, that's all you need. Just make sure the screws are "long enough". Mark the line of the joists on the wall,either side of the room first and you'll know exactly where the centre of the joists are and then, screw away. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back