Cracked concrete window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1702684347586.jpeg

I'm just getting round to doing some much needed maintenance work on my windows (repainting sills, filling cracks, replacing sealant) but after removing the paint on this sill I can see that the cracks are worse than I thought. Some of the pieces are loose.

I was going to use some Toupret exterior filler for the cracks but I'm wondering now if I need something more serious?

Sponsored Links
Remove the loose bits, and fill with cement sand mix. 1 cement to 2 sand or 1:1. Use flat wood plank as as a former for the sides. Leave it exposed to the elements to harden for a couple of months, then masonry primer and paint.

Sponsored Links
Okay, I was thinking of using filler to kind of stick the pieces back together and fill the cracks but maybe it does make sense to just take out the loose bits and replace those bits completely.

I have another bay window at the front that I haven’t stripped the paint from yet and I have a feeling at least some of those sills will be similar to this one.

I’m wondering whether it might be easier to replace the window sill completely instead of trying to piece them back together if there’s more than one that’s this badly cracked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back