Cracking of new ceiling plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had an bedroom skimmed of a 1930s house, all the walls and ceiling are good but a crack has started to develop over the last few days, from the centre lighting rose across the whole ceiling, human hair size at the moment, the old plaster wasn`t great, but seemed solid if not always perfectly attached, is this just settling as it dries out, been up a week now, or is this my ceiling coming down?? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the ceiling is wooden lath plaster, then it will eventually fall off. If there were small hairline cracks on the cieling prior to plastering then the hairline cracks are re-appearing through the new plaster (even if there was fiba tape applied). Best thing to do is knock the cieling with your knuckles and if it sounds hollow (or it slighlty moves) then there is a chance that the new plaster has not adhered to the old plaster correctly.

well yes it is wooden lath plaster underneith, and fiba tape was applied, have given the plaster a knock and it seems fixed, well it sounds a bit hollow but that could be the old plaster underneith, problem is that it is really thick, so quite heavy, think we may make the house look nice and sell. really can`t be bothered with taking ceilings down!
but saying that they old ceiling did survive me scraping distemper off with a wall paper razor blade stripper, so its quite well on as i gave it some abuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back