Cracks glorious cracks (not)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some help (Maybe a lot of help). I have recently decorated a room with a good quality undercoat/paint. In the corner of the room, there was substantial crack running down the wall which I refilled/sanded. I have done the same with the cracks running along the coving/ceiling. Unfortunately both of them have come back just as bad. Can anyone tell me how to eradicate this once and for all. I have the issue in some of the other rooms, but I would like to fix this room first.

Here are the pictures:

dsc01466y.jpg

dsc01511xn.jpg

The corner wall is a solid wall joined to a studded plasterboard wall, and the crack runs from gloor to ceiling.

Can someone suggest a way to eradicate this once and for all, by specifying products (Been looking at Ronseal) and would fibreglass tape work?

Many thanks in advance

Mitchell75

Sponsored Links
Looks like shrinkage.
Try running a bead decorators caulk on the coving,
The crack in your internal angle should be cured be using some self adhesive nylon joint tape.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plasterboard-Jointing-and-Repair-Tape/invt/163566

and filling out and sanding using a jointing compound like this
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Jointing-Compound/invt/220995

there are others available from other sheds, some are ready mixed and some powered (just add water) easifill is what the trade use.
Your sand paper wants to be rated at 150-180 grit.
It may be wise to apply two tapes over larger cracks, run the tapes the full length of the crack if floor to ceiling, for smaller lengths overlap the ends of the crack by about 40mm.
You will need to apply three lots of compound, letting dry on each application, then lightly sanding.
The object is to feather the compound out from the joint/crack, so it can sanded down so the wall looks smooth and flat. About 100-150mm either side, should do the trick.
It will be best if you sand your paint work down, where applying tapes, to give a good adhesion to the surface.
Once you have completed all application and area is smooth it will need to be primed prior to painting.
That should prevent the crack returning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back