Cracks in external render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a decent sized crack in some render on the outside of my property this morning. We have a balcony on the first floor of our 1900s brick house, that sits over a bay window on the ground floor. It's the ceiling of this balcony area that's cracked. I don't know what the render is bonded to (presumably not brick, given that it's kind of an external ceiling).

I was wondering whether this just needs to be repaired with some exterior filler and paint, or whether it's worth getting checked out in case there's problematic movement. The brickwork is exposed everywhere except this ceiling and a small triangular area above it to the roofline, and there are are no other apparent cracks in the exposed brickwork. If it's worth checking out, what sort of company or person do I need to use to do this sort of thing? A structural surveyor or engineer? I'm a bit clueless on this sort of thing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back