Cracks in plasterboard above radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hopefully someone will be able to help with a problem that we are having in our new(ish) build flat.

My wife and I moved into our 2 bedroom flat 3 years ago, and at that point the flat was around 4 years old. When we redecorated we noticed that there was a crack in the plasterboard wall in the living room, but thought nothing of it as we were told that it was common in new builds as the flats 'settled in'. So we simply painted over it and didn't think anymore of it, especially as it is an area of the room that we don't really spend any time in.

We have recently put our flat on the market to try and sell it (although we have since decided to stay put), and one of the potential buyers pointed out the crack in the wall. It was only then that we really noticed that the crack had got much worse, and the surface was now raised out as though it was being 'pushed' from behind.

The crack was directly above one of the radiators and we realised that when the radiator was on, the wall above it was getting very hot in a direct line above the middle of the radiator, and this is exactly where the cracks are. I am assuming that there is a hot water pipe that runs behind the wall at this point?

Behind the radiator itself the plasterboard has completely crumbled and we noticed that chunks of plasterboard were lose and dropped off when I lifted the radiator off of it's mounts.

None of the other radiators in the flat have this issue, so this seems to be an isolated issue.

What is causing this and how much of a problem is it? Do we need to call a plumber out to look at the piping? The walls are not wet, so I assume that there are no leaks.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
ask on plaster and rendering forum
as if it was the rad was too heavy it breaks on the brackets
or if its water leak the whole lot caves in pretty quick

I sounds as if you may have a leak behind the plasterboard Stu, but please don't be too alarmed. Even a slight leak on plasterboard will cause it to get wet, dry with the radiator & then crumble.

Get a recommended time-served Plumber in, he can remove the radiator & some of the plasterboard, just to check it all out. Then repair if required.

It's no big deal to get a plasterboard patch done, any Plasterer worth his corn would repair a patch like that in half a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back