Cracks in the Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ceiling was plastered over to cover the artex last year but a long hair thin crack has appeared and I would like to fix it myself. Apparently the plasterer never re-screwed the ceiling boards to the joists as he promised. So i was thinking if I screw them now nicely and use decorators caulk to fill up the crack and to cover the screws that should prevent more cracks...or should it be replastered completely?Furhtermore someone told me that it should be covered with plaster boards all over again. What is the right thing to do?[/b]

Sponsored Links
Was it a plasterboard salesman that told you that, because an extra sale would be the only outcome should you go down that route.

Variations between the movement of the Artex and the plaster overcoat is most likely cause of the cracks. Filling is a reasonable course, other courses could include a permanently flexible paint, Polycell crack cover is a reliable one...pinenot :)

Our ceiling was plastered over to cover the artex last year but a long hair thin crack
Is the crack where the edge of the plasterboard is?
Apparently the plasterer never re-screwed the ceiling boards to the joists as he promised.
Is there movement of the plasterboards?
So i was thinking if I screw them now nicely and use decorators caulk to fill up the crack and to cover the screws that should prevent more cracks
Ideally Easi-fill 45 is much better
should it be replastered completely?
No need unless it's really bad, any photo?
Furhtermore someone told me that it should be covered with plaster boards all over again. What is the right thing to do?
Not always, I never has any problem when using pva and plaster it while it's still tacky with cement and bonding unless it's was just a multi-finish plaster and no plaster bonding prior to that?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. There was apparently wooden lath on the ceiling and not plasterboards, it is a 1930's house. The first plasterer did just plaster over the artex and the extra weight has taken its tol by cracking in several areas. The plasterer will now plaster board over this bit (along with the rest of the rooms) and that should do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back