Cracks in window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can I ask some advice on cracks in our external window sills please?

We purchased the property in October last year and although I was aware of some minor cracks they appear to have expanded throughout the summer. I'm concerned they may be indicative of a serious problem and in either case am interested to receive advice for how I remedy them please.

Cheers
Roy

Sponsored Links
I think the bottom picture is just where the two pieces meet at a join on the corner. The first picture however seems to indicate either a weakness in the stone or more probably a previous botched repair effort. You will need to strip the paint right back to the bare stone to assess the extent of the cracks and then post some more pics.

And walk back about - well as far as you can before taking another pic.

Its the things that are not in the pic that could be why its cracking.

Whats the garden like?

A fairly common occurence with concrete sills, unlike lintels they do not have any strengthening rods built into them so expansion and contraction takes its toil especially in winter when frost gets into the cracks,
strip it back , fill and redecorate is about the only option.

Sponsored Links
Agree with Bosswhite. Just going to be a regular maintenance thing. I expect it's worse on the south side, where the sun gets on it?
Don't let the frost get in the cracks over winter or it could deteriorate even more.

If there are similar houses nearby, you might speak to the owners, see whether they have any magic solution, but I doubt it.

Ivor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back