Curing damp on a north facing wal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We live in a 1920's house which does not have a cavity wall.

In our back bedroom we get an amount of damp on the two external walls, one of which is north facing. Externally the walls are rendered and painted with weathershied masonary paint.

I've tried the painting the internal walls with damp proof paint prior to papering but this only gives temporary relief.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way to fix it is to batten the walls, plasterboard and then plaster. Is there any other way to gain a permanant fix..?

All help gartefully received
Al

Sponsored Links
Please excuse the spelling I thought I'd corrected them with spellcheck..must have hit the wrong button.

I will need to see the picture of the damage- otherwise can't tell if this has been caused by the rain water of water condensation on cold wall, if wall is effected by the water- you will need to treat it with wall seal and this will solve the problem if not I have a better option for you instead of plasterboard- I have done this before and works really well:
you can buy polystyrene with aluminum foil on one side, using plaster adhesive stick this on the wall (thickness of that was around 5cm), using a wooden board with plenty of sticking out nails, make a holes on top of that, next do the plastering and paint as normal. What that will do: if your damp goes from the condensation- this will isolate cold wall from warm air inside of the room and prevent from liquefying, if damp comes from the rain water- will keep damped wall behind polystyrene- plus you will save £££ on your energy bill :)
ps- I am buying this stuff from "Selco" building trade store
Salute
MINDEX

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back