Damp around bay window

Joined
27 Jan 2023
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
I have damp issues to each side of my front bay window.
I had damp course done a couple of years ago.
The existing damp issues were more severe until I replaced the sealant which had deteriorated around the bay window. This seemed to fix things. But after the very dry summer when the rain returned, damp issues returned.
This is a damp patch extending from the side towards the window on the left (I have marked this area in red). Also, to the right, alongside the window frame, mainly forming an arc towards the window frame.
I have a canopy over the front door, with rain running off onto the top of a post box. I wonder if the water could be splashing off this and causing damp problems?
Does anyone know what could be causing these issues?
20261003_165030 edit 1.jpg
20261003_165030 edit 2.jpg
20261003_165030 edit 3.jpg
20261003_165103.jpg
20261003_165109.jpg
20261003_165148.jpg
20261003_165208.jpg
 
Brickworks needs pointing
Screenshot_20261003-210647.png



Then where sill enters wall don't look good.
Water can get in and run under the flat top off bricks under sill and inside.
Dig it out inside and look is your best bet.
Put a plastic corner bead inside when fixed so no rust.
I've done a great removing wall from inside as taking window out isn't an option
 
Pour some water on the window, see what happens. It's possible it's rolling along the edge of the sill towards the walls at its end, so is tipping down the wall at its ends. It may be running along the top or along its underside.

If so it just needs a bit of glued on trim on its underside say 50mm away from the wall as a drip stop, to make it drip off sooner.

Also go out and have a look the next time it's raining heavily. It's more likely there's a problem with the roof itself or whatever route the water takes down from it. It would be running down the cavity from the top then gathering further down, making it look like the problem is lower than it is.

Your raincoat and umbrella will tell you much more than the internet.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top