damp around edge of concrete kitchen floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering the best way to tackle what I think is rising damp. I am wanting to level the floor so what would be the best option to deal with the gap around the edges?

The floor is concrete with a couple of inches of bitumen which has an inch gap between the wall all the way around.

The damp is on every wall to around a foot in height apart from behind the cabinets where the walls arent painted. Behind the cabinets, there is still a gap between floor and wall but it is bone dry.

This is where I've removed one of the cabinets, black arrows point to damp and green arrows the areas are dry. The line of damp stops exactly where the paint finishes.
1.jpg

All this area is very dry including the old skirting board

3.JPEG

The rest of the walls are all damp to around a foot, I've removed the damp skirting boards

IMG_2885.JPEG

IMG_2890.JPEG

IMG_2891.JPEG

Sponsored Links
Maybe you have original lime plaster which needs to breath. Don't want to seal in with either vinyl emulsion or gypsum plaster. Maybe?

The short story is:
you dont appear to have a DPM under the concrete?
the bitumen was applied as a Damp Proof Membrane. Its not worked.
A previous, failed attempt has been made to inject chemicals into the wall(s).
The wall plaster in general appears to have failed.
Is the outside ground level lower or higher than the kit floor?
Can you post pics of the outside of the walls?

Knock off all the plaster to a Ht of 1m - or remove all the kit wall plaster floor to ceiling.
Remove any wood wall plugs that were used to fix skirting.
Dont touch the corner beads.
Rake out the gap and fill with sand & cement.
Render the wall to 1m high with a 4:1 mix of sand & NH lime - use Limelite finish on the render.
Stop the render about 50mm above the floor.
Spread a liquid membrane across the floor - check that its compatible with bitumen and SLC?
Bring the floor to level with SLC.

Given the state of the floor there's no guarantee of success - guaranteed success would require the concrete cracked out and a new pour on a DPM.

I'm wondering the best way to tackle what I think is rising damp. I am wanting to level the floor so what would be the best option to deal with the gap around the edges?

The floor is concrete with a couple of inches of bitumen
Tarmac ?

Sponsored Links
One of the old hands will moan if I point out that you have an old house with a wet concrete kitchen floor, and that water pipes commonly leak after 50 or 100 years, and are commonly buried in or under the kitchen floor.

The sink drain gulley is probably leaking as well.

Painting on black stuff will not mend the leak.

Rendering the wall will not mend the leak.

Do not allow anyone who sells silicone injections into your house.

Post #7,
What an absurd & foolish post you've written - who but yourself has introduced this nonsense about mending a leak?
After your 81,000 posts I'd bet that 80,000 of them are babbling on about non-existing leaks.
And your further babbling about "painting on black stuff will not mend the leak" - what black stuff, what leak?
And even more foolishness about render and "the leak" - - the leak?
Where in this thread or in any DIYNOT thread has the claim been made that rendering will mend a leak?

Wrong. I'm not an old hand.
But two words sum up the extent of your technical knowledge.

Wrong. I'm not an old hand.
But two words sum up the extent of your technical knowledge.
Don't hold back tell - you know you haven't in the past . Just have a lie down . under your duvet

Inappropriate content deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
What was your user name in 2006 ? ree vinn bobasd ? you just can't stop your abusive self can you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back