Damp corner.. solution needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to get fitted wardrobes in our bedroom, but when moving a chest of drawers away from the wall I found the wall very damp at skirting level.(first floor)
Now i'm assuming its condensation due to lack of air flow behind the unit.
esp as its a cold North facing external wall
Now bearing in mind that we are about to get a permanent cupboard fitted which of these do you think would be the best solution.

a) Polystyrene lining paper
b) Installing a small cupboard heater (60w) on a timer to create a convection current.
c) Anti Damp paint.

I have done my research, but cant seem to find a definate solution as they all have various pro's and con's

ie Polystrene just peels away after a while, heater require electrics to be installed (already have the solution to that form another part of this forum) and costs money to run., and antidamp paint will still allow condensation to build up.....

assuming that it is condensation...

help please.. (as the fitter is coming monday and i should do the work before he gets here!.. esp if its electrics.)

Sponsored Links
If things are still going to be put in front of the damp wall then I dont think an heater will work..

Dont bother with anti mould paint...

You really need to warm the wall up a bit...

Apply the polystene to the outsdie walls only

Id go for the polysterene (normally reffered to as kotina) but put it on with ready mixed ahesive...once you have cleaned to mould from the wall.

It not nice stuff to hang and does tend to snap in the corners...so handle with care.

Hang it horizontally.

Once you have done that then go over the top of it with 1000 grade ..lining paper vertically...the kotina is far to soft....for good measure and because the paper may shrink back at the joints I wuld double line it...making sure the seams dont overlap

Then paint/paper as normal..

You may still get a little damp...(actually its not damp its just mildew) but it shouldnt be as bad

If things are still going to be put in front of the damp wall then I dont think an heater will work..

ahh but there wont be any backs on the wardrobes and they will be 900 deep... 600 deep wardrobe and then 300 deep into the alcove.. imagine the cupboard spanning the gap..

Sponsored Links
Not so bad then but mildew can also form when the weather is a little milder...you may not want the heater on then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back