Damp gable end/chinmey stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of background first. 1890ish end terrace. Chimney stack removed and roof tiled over. Top of gable reduced by several feet and rebuilt due to slight bulge. Very top rebuilt with breezeblocks. Gable pebbledashed. All works done as part of council grant, works signed off by same.

The problem I have is that the gable end in the loft is damp to the touch, at times the mortar is obviously damp due to the colour. Some of the older bits are practically dust, and there are lots of salt deposits. There are no obvious leaks. When it dries out, the last place to dry is between the chimney breasts.
I've now noticed a damp patch in the bedroom at ceiling level.

The chimneys each have an internal airvent on the ground floor, but as far as I'm aware, not at the top. I can't get to the top of the gable, but could knock a brick out of the chimney in the loft.

Might this be the answer and does anybody have anymore?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back