Damp internal wall since replastered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather than post in the plastering and rendering I thought I'd go general to start with.

I've recently took the window bottom off which pulled all the plaster off. I've now had this replastered and noticed that the plaster is wet/damp on one side.

This has been dry since weekend however we have had alot of rainfall over the last few days.

How's best to go about stopping this in the long run. I've noticed that he has plastered right up to the window (unlike the rest which have a piece of D shaped plastic beading to hide the slight gap.

Do I need to remake the gap as it was before?
I will be water sealing the brick at some point this year as I believe the brick is absorbing the water and wicking inside

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_184242741.jpg
    IMG_20200310_184242741.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
markyb555, good evening.

Not sure but as I understand it???

You removed the "sill" [the timber bit at the bottom of the window?]

Plaster fell off? was it damp / wet?

Re- Plastered now there are damp patches

Have you looked at the external mastic seal between the window and the external render ? / or brick work / masonry?

An image of the external mastic sealant could be of assistance?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Sorry half a$$ed attempt. I'll clarify.

There was no evidence of damp/wet plaster when removing the cill. I'm removing them and putting new in as we have not long since had new matching double glazed windows in which they weren't when we moved in.

I've had the wall paper off around that area for around 6months before tackling the cill and thus needing it fully replastered (as it was easier than patching up and less time consuming for me) it's never looked wet/damp like that before until the plastering right up to the window.

I haven't looked at the silicone/mastic bead but I'd have hoped being less then 12 months old that this wouldn't be broken (although I will check)

The reference to the water seal, our brick seems to be quite porous and when it rains really soaks into the brick. I've got some Thompson's water seal which has help my parents house with this.

Thanks for your reply

Sponsored Links
The gap trim around the window was a quick fix when windows were installed , plaster should be as it is now . If you still have damp plaster after a week or so then the windows were never installed/sealed correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back