Damp proof carpet underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there such a thing as damp proof carpet underlay? The floorboards in my living room are a giving off a mouldy damp odour. The boards themselves are not damp or wet to touch but underneith the floor its a different situation.

The house was built int the 1920's and the flooring on the groundfloor is suspended, below that is a 4ft void then earth. During periods of heavy rain the void actualy starts to fill up but does not reach the joists or boards. The stench of damp underneith is awfull.

TIA

Wozzit

Sponsored Links
I think you are "barking up the wrong tree" here...

You need to sort out the problem under your floor before you even think about new carpets!

damp smells will always find a way through into your house

Thats the problem, to get under the house sorted would be hugely expensive.
The water rising is due to the water table and its not only my house in the street that gets effected.

The joists and boards as I said are fine and are well above the maximum height of the water level it just seems to be the damp smell from underneith that is coming through. I take it damp proof underlay would'nt do the trick then?

Sponsored Links
I am not aware of any underlay (at any price) that is "damp proof"

Modern PU underlays usually have a film layer and if you went to the trouble of taping the joins then it may help, but....

the smell will still find its way into your house!

...is there no way of adding some kind of drain to prevent the flooding?

you may be better asking in the building forum, you never know there may be an answer

Good luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back