Damp + What to do about it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not a new topic really I've seen talk of damp proofing on here before. We live in an old house plaster is coming off the lounge wall other side of this is next doors garage. Husband went round to neighbour and asked if garage was damp she let him look and it appeared to be dry. We have drain on small porch which is next to this wall and porch is alway cold and feels damp would it be worth enquiring about getting drain moved and would this be cheaper than having damp proof course either looked at or renewed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Lizzie

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off posting this in the building forum. However, if, there is a downpipe and/or gully in the vicinity of the damp on the wall and you suspect that this is the source, it would be worth digging it out and seeing if there are any leaks below ground level. If it's an old clay drain, then there is a fair chance that it's defective, resulting in escaping water being drawn into the masonry, appearing as damp on the inside. I'm assuming that it's a solid wall.

as long as there is a clear air gap (say 100mm) between the external walls ie yours and the garage then i would not expect this to be the source.

just because the garage appears dry does not mean it's not the problem though - there is high ventilation in a garage which would hide the existence of damp - a meter would be required to be sure.

sorting all external "plumbing" ie gutters and drains is the no 1 priority before going inside. u need to go outside when it's raining hard and see what's happening to the rain water - it should all flow from the gutter and roof areas directly into the drain at ground level without any water escaping to contact the brickwork. defective flashings are a regular cause ie they’ve come away from the brickwork.

for plaster to be coming off it sounds as if there is plenty of water getting in and not a "damp profers" issue more a general building problem. u really need to identify the cause and pics i feel would help if you can't get to the bottom of it by tracing where the water is coming from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back