Damp (what's the cause?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks.

Just a quick query. We've recently purchased a house and the far corner of the house appears to have damp coming in. I don't think it's rising damp but wonder what the cause is? To the exterior of the property is a connecting dividing wall that separates our back garden to the neighbours and so I am wondering if this hasn't been sealed right and as a result, the water has got through the crack between the back wall and the house thereby causing damp. We ripped off the render from the back wall and exterior of the property and used a damp-proofing paint-type substance on the wall but to no avail - I assume as there are still gaps in the cement between the bricks but there is no obvious gap

I've attached a few photos and a quick sketch to assist you.

Any ideas? I was looking to possibly get the rear wall and part of the exterior of the house repointed with a bit of flashing on the back wall.

Thanks in advance

View media item 49708View media item 49709 View media item 49710View media item 49711 [/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back