Danger with water tank!

• Thread starter harrisonline
  • Start date
H

harrisonline

Please could someone explain what causes this so that I can prevent againsed it.

Hot water is directed up into the cold water storage tank in the attick. It somehow gets hotter and boils.
If the cold water tank is plastic it warpes and scalding water comes through the bedroom ceiling.

I have heard about this happening 3 times. On at least one of the occasions someone died as a result when the scalding water came down on a couple who were sleeping. Another time it happened over a cot.

I know one of you will be able to answer this for me.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you carry a thick steel umbrella planes can't land on ya head that easy too

Make sure whatever heats the hot water (immersion heater or boiler) is not "always on" 24 hours a day - that it's controlled by a time switch of some sort. Specially an immersion heater because if the thermostat fails, it may just keep heating quietly !

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your speedy answers.

Please could you help some more.

How does the hot water get into the attic?
And how does the hot water displace the cold water so that the storage tank in the attic contains boiling water. Where does the cold water go?

harrisonline said:
Through the vent pipe.

And how does the hot water displace the cold water so that the storage tank in the attic contains boiling water. Where does the cold water go?
Eventually all the cold water will become hot.

Thanks for your speedy answers.

Please could you help some more.

The immersion heater contacts welded themselves together so that it was permanently on.

After one of those accidents, all new immersion heater thermostats were
upgraded, so that they had a second, manual-reset thermostat. This turns the electricity off if the first control thermostat fails and the water gets too hot.

If you're worried about it, get one of those installed.

The tank could have tolerated boiling water, but it was not supported properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back