Decent paint?

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve searched, but can’t seem to find anything current and relevant. I’m usually a Dulux/Crown person, I’m not against own brand/alternatives, but was disappointed in Wickes own white ceiling paint (thought I had dipped my roller into water and spread on the ceiling). So are there any others that are decent, or stick to what I know? I know Wilko is supposed to be good, but I’m after a 10l or more of Magnolia. Also is there a difference in trade/contract, are these better?

I haven’t tried Johnstone’s or Leyland.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Johnstone's, Armatage both fine.

Leyland OK providing it's the proper stuff, I've bought some utter crap from Toolstation badged as Leyland which has put me off their emulsion.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I've used Leyland trade emulsion from Screwfix without any problems, though only ever used the white, happy to recommend that. Crown emulsion always seemed OK when I used it. Can't go wrong with anything from Dulux in my opinion, so far.

• Thanks
When we had an escape of water and insurance claim, the Pro Decorator recommended Armstead Trade Vinyl Matt for decent covering ability/bang for buck. Also Dulux Trade... both made by the same Akzo Nobel group of companies.
Note the Trade versions; more expensive but truly superior.

I'd always been of the 'paint is paint' persuasion but decent quality paint really does go on and cover better in fewer coats I've found; now I can finally afford to pay the higher prices ;)

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Our new buildings manager has got some really expensive paint, should use primer, undercoat, before top coat and was claimed to be very good and the correct colour for Great Western Railway, however seats painted were flaking paint within 6 months.

It seems likely the heat and humidity was wrong, however one can't really control that, and every make of paint seems to have changed over the years, so I am more a slap it on, and accept it will need re-doing, in doors no point is lasting more than 7 years, as rules say must be redone every 7 years anyway, except for domestic, so there are really bad paints, but commercial does not really matter if last 7 years or 70 years, still needs doing every 7.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back