Decorating disaster: stripping Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We spent the weekend decorating our spare bedroom. The walls were originally painted deep red by the previous owner with very little preparation.

One wall was particularly bad and my builder smeared fine filler over it which I sanded down a few days later. Having sugar soaped all the other walls we decided against sugar soaping the bad wall as we didn’t know if it was okay for use with the filler (big mistake).

The whole room was painted with two coats of Polyfilla Basecoat and then two coats of Dulux Matt Emulsion. After the first coat of Emulsion, the paint on the bad wall began to bubble (largest diameter was 3/4 inch!). Thinking this was trapped air, I tried to pop them only to find that the bubble was actually underneath the basecoat. All three layers of paint then came off in strips very easily and it was pretty obvious that the dust from the filler had caused it not to stick.

So, I now have a wall which has some paint stuck and some not. I have since sugar soaped it, sealed it with watered-down emulsion and repainted but it looks terrible!

It’s not a big wall (1.5m x 2.5m approx), what would be the best way to strip all the paint off back to the original red stuff? I’m thinking that I could score around the edge of the wall to avoid pulling the paint of the adjacent walls then strip everything inside.

I have a heat gun if that helps.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Wow.....

This an Classic example of how all these so-called fixable paints can sometimes cause more problems than it fixes.

However, my recomendation is to scrape off as much loose, flaking or blistered paint as possible.

Then get an Pro-Plasterer and DEMAND he use Thistle Bond-It as an Sealer and leave to dry for 24 hours.

Then get the Pro-Plasterer to apply Two Coats of Multi-Finish Plaster.

Then leave to dry for until the plaster go light pink in colour.

Then emulsion the wall with Two coats of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt and follw the instructions on the tub/tin for new/bare surfaces.

Then you can emulsion this wall with any emulsion you desire.

NB In my opinion DO NOT use any One-Coat Emulsions ever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back